Company / Audition
Auditions for the McLeod Summer Playhouse are generally held locally in Carbondale, Illinois on the Saturday of the first or second week in February, in Altgeld Hall, Room 116 (Opera/Music Theater Rehearsal Room) SIU Campus. Registration is at 9:30 am. Everyone auditioning must attend the dance audition at 10 am. Individual auditions will begin at 11 am. Performers will have 90 seconds (timed) to sing a musical theater selection (a selection from one of the shows is permitted) and perform a comic monologue. Dance wear is needed for the dance audition; something that reveals the body line. An accompanist will be provided. Please bring sheet music with piano accompaniment. Music should be presented with start, finish, and cuts clearly marked. No CD accompaniment. Bring a picture and resume if possible.
If productions require young actors, there is a separate audition for children.
Auditions for McLeod Summer Playhouse are also typically held at selected regional theater auditions and conferences.
Salary Range - $250-300/week 7-8 week contracts. (biweekly pay periods) Housing provided.
For information about auditions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
McLeod Summer Playhouse
Local Auditions Professional Company - Carbondale, Illinois
Saturday, Feb. 10, 9:30 a.m. – Altgeld Hall, School of Music, Room 116 - SIU Campus in Carbondale, Illinois
Sign in at 9:00 a.m. Dance audition for everyone at 10 a.m., Individual auditions begin at 11 a.m . Actors will have 90 seconds to sing a musical theater selection (a selection from one of the shows is permitted) and perform a comic monologue. Call backs follow.
Local Tech Interviews - Carbondale, Illinois
Saturday, Feb. 10, 9:30 a.m., Dean’s Conference Room, Comm. Bldg. off McLeod Theater Lobby.
Sign up at 9:00 a.m., Interviews begin at 9:30 a.m.
For questions, contact Mark Varns by email: email@example.com
A1 Auditions: January 11-15 at New York, NY
SETC: March 8, 9, and 10, at Lexington, KY
Video Audition Submissions - Adult Professional Company only
Must be received by March 12, 2018
Because Theater is a live performance art, we prefer to see performers at one of our live auditions whenever possible. However, we do accept electronic video auditions. In order to make the process as organized as possible for us, and in an effort to create as close to a live performance in your video as possible, we ask that you please follow the following guidelines for video audition submission:
- All audition videos should be submitted via Google Drive to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Videos should be AVI, MOV or MP4 formats
- Please name the video file with “Your Name” MSP Video Audition 2018
- Video submissions should be no longer than four (4) minutes.
- Videoed auditions should be shot in full body. No close-ups or upper-body shots, please.
- The video audition should include, in this order:
- An opening slate where you clearly state your name.
- An accompanied, vocal selection which demonstrates your vocal range and technique, as well as your ability to act a song and communicate character.
- A short monologue demonstrating your abilities as an actor to communicate a specific character in a specific situation.
- A brief demonstration of your dance/movement abilities.
- A closing slate where you clearly restate your name
- A NOTE ON SUBMITTING PERFORMANCE REELS: In lieu of the above, you may present a reel of you in an actual performance(s). However, please note that the video must still:
- Be no longer than four (4) minutes. Videos should start with the section you want us to view. We will not fast forward to specific marks.
- Contain scenes that show you in full body.
- Contain examples of you solo-singing, acting with a partner or performing a monologue, and dancing. If you are dancing in a group, make sure that we can easily identify you during the dance.
- Be sure to name the file "Your Name" MSP Video Audition 2018.
MSP 2018 Season DatesWorkshop, rehearsal and performance schedules to be announced.
Each summer, McLeod Summer Playhouse hires talented technical and artistic staff through local interviews in Carbondale, Illinois at the end of February as well as hiring conferences.
Typical positions include the following:
Stage managers, assistant stage managers, assistant technical director, master carpenter, carpenters, scenic artists, prop artisans, electricians, general tech/run crew, sound technician, cutters/drapers, stitchers and wardrobe.
Salary Range: $1500-2500 per 9-10 wk contract (biweekly pay periods) Housing provided.