McLeod Summer Playhouse
Each year the McLeod Summer Playhouse hires 16-20 professional actors and acting interns and 30-35 professional designers, technicians, artisans and musicians. Interviews and auditions for all positions are held annually on the Southern Illinois University campus in Carbondale, Illinois, and at various theater conferences such as UPTA, SETC and others.
Most performers hired must be trained actor-singer-dancers, and are be hired to perform in two or three of the company’s professional summer productions. Some single (one show) contracts are available, and actor contracts can range from four to eight weeks.
Technical staff and artisans are hired for the entire MSP season, include a high school musical theater workshop production co-produced with Carbondale Community Arts. Contracts for technical staff and artisans are for 9 or 10 weeks. Typical positions include stage manager, assistant stage managers, technical director, assistant technical director, master carpenter, carpenters, scenic artists, prop artisans, electricians, general tech/run crew, sound technician, cutters/drapers, stitchers and wardrobe.
Guest designers, musicians, directors and choreographers are hired on a per show basis. Resumes should be sent directly to the Managing Artistic Director at email@example.com.
Professional Company Local Auditions - Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, Illinois
- Feb. 2, 2019 - 9:00 a.m. - Altgeld Hall, 1000 South Normal Avenue, Room 116 Carbondale, IL 62901
- Sign in for the audition begins at 9:00 a.m. in Altgeld Hall. A Dance Audition for everyone will begin at 9:30 a.m. Please dress to perform an actor/mover style dance audition, and then be able to go immediately into an idividual singing/acting audition without a full change of clothes. Time will be alotted to change shoes and adjust hair and clothing. Individual acting/singing auditions will begin at 10:30 a.m. Actors will have 90 seconds to sing a musical theater selection (a selection from one of the chosen shows for 2019 is permitted) and perform an upbeat or comic, contemporary monologue.
Special Audtions for Area Children ♦ Altgeld Hall, Room 116 ♦ Southern Illinois University ♦ Carbondale, Illinois
- By Appointment: Thursday, May 23 through Saturdau, May 25, 2019
- Prepared signing or acting pieces are not necessary. MUSIC AND ACTING SIDES WILL BE PROVIDED AND REHEARSED AT THE AUDITION.
- To schedule an appointment or for more information, contact McLeod Summer Playhouse at 618-453-5741 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We will be auditioning for the following children's roles:
- For "GYPSY"
- Newsboys - Looking for four boys who can play ages 10-12 (voices should not have changed yet). Must sing and dance/move-well.
- For "GYPSY"
- All children auditioning must live or have housing with an approved guardian in the southern Illinois area during the times of rehearsals, and have transportation to and from the rehearsal spaces in Carbondale.
- PARENTS AND GUARDIANS ARE ENCOURAGED TO BECOME FAMILIAR WITH THE PLAYS AND THE ROLES.
Local Technical and Design Interviews - Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, Illinois
- Feb. 2, 2019 - 9:00 a.m. – Communications Building, 1100 Lincoln Drive, Room 1032, Carbondale, Illinois 62901
- Sign up at 9:00 a.m., Interviews begin at 9:30 a.m.
- For questions, contact Mark Varns by email: email@example.com
Regional Auditions and Technical Interviews
- UPTA:Feb. 8-11, Playhouse on the Square - Memphis, TN
- SETC: Feb. 27-Mar. 2, Knoxville, TN
Video Audition Submissions for Actors (must be 18 years of age and over)Because Theater is a live performance art, we prefer to see performers at one of our live auditions whenever possible. However, we do accept electronic video auditions. In order to make the process as organized as possible for us, and in an effort to create as close to a live performance in your video as possible, we ask that you please follow the following guidelines for video audition submission:
- Must be received by March 1, 2019
- All audition videos should be submitted via Google Drive to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Videos should be AVI, MOV or MP4 formats
- Video submissions should be no longer than four (4) minutes.
- Videoed auditions should be shot in full body. No close-ups or upper-body shots, please.
- The video audition should include, in this order:
- An opening slate where you clearly state your name.
- An accompanied, vocal selection which demonstrates your vocal range and technique, as well as your ability to act a song and communicate character.
- A short monologue demonstrating your abilities as an actor to communicate a specific character in a specific situation.
- A brief demonstration of your dance/movement abilities.
- A closing slate where you clearly restate your name
- Be no longer than four (4) minutes. Videos should start with the section you want us to view. We will not fast forward to specific marks.
- Contain scenes that show you in full body.
- Contain examples of you solo-singing, acting with a partner or performing a monologue, and dancing. If you are dancing in a group, make sure that we can easily identify you during the dance.
- Be sure to name the file “Your Name_MSP Video Audition 2019”